How to check for water leaks
1. Make sure no water is being used inside or outside of your house.
2. Locate your water meter and check the leak indicator to see if it is moving. Depending on the brand of your meter, the leak indicator should be a small triangular shaped dial that rotates when water is flowing through the meter. If the dial is moving, chances are, you have a leak.
3. Or, you can also take a meter reading and wait 1 or 2 hours and take another meter reading (make sure no water is used during this time). If the reading has changed, you have a leak.
After you have determined that you have a leak, the next step is to determine if the leak is inside or outside of your house.
1. Locate your home's main shut off valve and shut off the water at the valve. Typically, you will find the shut off valve in the basement or garage directly behind an outdoor faucet, or outside below an outdoor faucet.
2. Again, check the leak indicator for movement or use the meter reading method, making sure not to use any water during this period. If the leak indicator stops moving or there is no change in the meter readings, then you have a leak inside of the house. If the leak indicator continues to move or there is a change in the meter readings, then the leak is outside between the meter and the house.