Frequently Asked Questions

What Area Does S.B.C.U.D Serve?

S.B.C.U.D. covers 150 square miles with 500 miles of water line and operates 5 decentralized wastewater facilities. Click HERE for a map of our system. We pride ourselves on having the purest water source in this area. Upper Tellico Lake furnishes water to our 15,100 customers. On a daily basis we produce between 2.5 - 5 million gallons per day through a membrane filtering process known as Micro filtration. We have a total of 34 employees that provide quality service to our customers. Our field staff consist of 5 Grade 4 Water Plant Operators, 14 Grade 2 Distribution Operators, 6 Cross Connection Specialist and 1 B & S Wastewater Operator.

How do I establish service?

If you would like to establish new service, please come to our office at 808 W. Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN (directions) and fill out the application for service. You will need to bring identification and proof of ownership if you have just purchased the property.

How much does it cost to establish service?

Homeowners and property owners pay a non refundable $30.00 connection fee every time an account is opened. Rental customers must pay a non refundable $100.00 connection fee every time an account is opened.

Additionally, other charges including, tap fees and/or special service area fees, may apply depending on the situation. Please feel free to call our office with specific information requests.

How much are your Tap Fees?

¾" tap = $1,500
1" tap = $2,500
2" tap = $5,000

waste water tap = $1500

Sprinkler Fees?

Fire Line Tap Fee    $1,500.00

Fire Line Tap Fees must be paid prior to construction.

Contractor shall schedule construction with the Utility District after the tap fee has been paid.

Buildings under 10,000 square feet will be charged the equivalent to the minimum bill set by the Utility District for the current fiscal year.

Buildings over 10,000 square feet will be charged $30.00 per month.

What if I am moving within the district?

Even if you are moving with in the district, you still need to come to our office and complete a new application form and pay applicable fees to establish service in your new residence.

How much will I pay for water service?

Both commercial and residential customers follow the same Rate Schedule for our water service. As of July 1, 2013, the customer charge will be $17.92 per month and all water wil be billed at a rate of $5.96 per thousand gallons.

How do I terminate service if I am moving?

If you are moving and you need to terminate service, just give us a call and we will schedule the day and time you request “shut off”. Your bill will reflect a pro-rated cost for the portion of the month you used our services.

I am late on my payment what is your policy?

Effective August 1, 2007 the Balance Forward on your statement must be paid in full by the due date shown on your current statement or a $60.00 late fee will be added and your water service will be disconnected. You will not receive a late notice.

My water meter is damaged, what do I do?

If your meter is damaged it is your responsibility to pay for the cost of repair or replacement. Call our office to report a damaged meter and please read our Meter Damage Policy to learn more.

Is lead a problem in my drinking water?

The District is required to monitor on a annual basis for lead and copper. All customers that are chosen to sample for the District will receive a free water bill for the sampling month and this document containing the sampling results.

Lead in drinking water is an important health issue because of its potential toxic effects. Although, lead does not occur naturally in the SBCUD’s water supply, nor is it a result of the treatment or distribution processes at our plant. In our area, lead in drinking water is most commonly caused by lead-based solder used to join copper piping in home plumbing systems. When water stands for several hours in plumbing that contains lead, the metal can dissolve or leach into the water. Tennessee banned the use of solders containing lead in 1988, so only homes built before the ban are potentially affected. As a precaution, you can eliminate lead from your drinking water by allowing the water to run for a few minutes before consuming it.